If You Are Blind Or Visually Impaired
You may be entitled to receive Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). To learn if you or someone you know may be eligible for these programs, visit our Disability Benefits or SSI Benefits pages.
Your Choices For Receiving Information From Social Security
At times, Social Security needs to contact you with important information. There are several ways to receive information from us if you are blind or have a visual impairment and
- you have applied for or receive Social Security or SSI benefits, or
- you are the representative payee for someone who has applied for or receives Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
You can choose to receive notices from us in one of the following ways. Just let us know which you prefer. Your choices for receiving notices are:
- Standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Standard print notice by certified mail;
- Standard print notice by first-class mail and a follow-up telephone call;
- Braille notice and a standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Microsoft Word file on a data compact disc (CD) and a standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Audio CD and a standard print notice by first-class mail; or
- Large print (18-point size) notice and a standard print notice by first-class mail.
To select or change the way you wish to receive information from Social Security, go to our secure Internet application:
If you already have requested notices in one of the seven formats, but need us to provide a particular Social Security document in your preferred format, please contact us.